
"The engineer" —
Last week the 59-year-old Manuel Pellegrini signed a three-year contract with Manchester City and will begin his role as Roberto Mancini's successor on June 24.

Youth development —
"Manuel shares the club's approach to football and our ambition to achieve on-field success, coordinating with the wider football support teams to ensure natural progression from the academy to senior level," said Manchester City chief executive Ferran Soriano of the club's new manager.

Wise old head —
The Chilean possesses 25 years of managerial experience and came close to guiding Malaga into the European Champions League semifinals last season before losing to eventual runners-up Borussia Dortmund.

Mancini —
Former Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini steered City to its first top-flight title in 44 years in 2012, but last season his team lagged 11 points behind Manchester United, struggled in Europe and suffered a shock defeat to Wigan in the FA Cup final.

Man management issues —
Mancini had numerous run-ins with Mario Balotelli, who left City to join AC Milan in the January transfer window, as well as Argentine Carlos Tevez.

Investing for success —
After completing a reported $300 million takeover of Manchester City in 2008, Sheikh Mansour has proceeded to spend more than $600 million on players such as Sergio Aguero, Carlos Tevez and Yaya Toure.

Major signings —
City has already made two major signings in the off-season, acquiring Spanish winger Jesus Navas from Sevilla and Brazilian midfielder Fernandinho from Shakhtar Donetsk for a total believed to be $70 million. Navas is pictured scoring for Spain in Euro 2012.

Talented squad —
Fernandinho has five caps for Brazil. "I'm sure we have the best squad in the Premier League, we have wonderful players and can win more titles in the next three or four seasons," said Pellegrini after his appointment.